** ARCHIVED NEWS ARTICLE - Originally Published December 2018**
As we wrap up this year, I would like to give you an update on the EMS Compact status and activity. First, I really want to thank everyone for your support and dedication toward this project as we work together to make EMS history. Here is an update of 2018 activities:
- Currently 16 states have passed legislation to institute the national EMS Compact
- As we start 2019 there are as many as 10 states that may introduce legislation this year.
- Dan Manz has joined the team as a resource for states to provide education on the EMS Compact
- The Compact continue to receive strong support from NASEMSO and many other national organizations
- Doug Wolfberg Esq. has offered his services to support the Commission and has been a real asset toward getting a strong foundation for the Compact and Commission.
- National Registry continues to provide robust support to include a ½ FTE to support daily operations
- The executive committee continues to meet every two weeks
- The rules committee is preparing draft rules for consideration at the annual meeting in Utah in May of 2019
- The decision has been made to set the date of the annual EMS Compact meeting in conjunction with the NASEMSO annual meeting. This will save travel costs for most states and enable many of our partner groups to attend.
- The EMS Compact website is moving to emscompact.gov Check out the new site which includes a link to register and receive notices about all future EMS Compact meetings.
- We are preparing for the target date of January 1, 2020 to go fully operational
This is an exciting time to be in EMS and it continues to be an honor to lead this project. On behalf of the Executive Commissioners and the Commissioners of the EMS Compact, I want to wish you all a Happy Holiday Season and a Happy and Healthy New Year!
Interstate Commission for EMS Personnel Practice